The Chinese company Xiaomi will start manufacturing its smartphones in Tierra del Fuego, which will represent a million dollar investment in the country. The news was confirmed by official Argentine government sources amid Alberto Fernández’s tour of Russia, China and Barbados.
Although the company’s announcement comes within the next 60 days, a member of the entourage who accompanies the president on the tour announced that Xiaomi’s arrival in Tierra del Fuego “is already a fact”.
Xiaomi in Argentina
The Chinese company arrived in Argentina years ago but, until now, there were no confirmed manufacturing plans in the country.
When it landed, the company’s objective was to market its first mid-range and high-end equipment with prices below 80 thousand pesos: the model Redmi Note 10 5G It was the first to be announced in the country and in Latin America (100,000 units were imported) just a few weeks from China.
“Consumers want alternatives and they see Xiaomi as a brand capable of providing them, and the brand appreciates the real potential for growth and development that they have in Argentina”said in the past Juan Pablo Baiardi, of Etercor, a company chosen as a distributor of the Chinese company’s products.
The Redmi Note 10 5G is characterized by being a device equipped with 5G connectivity, a 6.5-inch screen with FHD+ technology, a 48 MP triple camera, 4 GB of RAM, 128 GB of storage, a 2020 processor and a battery that depends on its use can provide up to 2 days of battery life.
In the first weeks of August 2021 two new models arrived: Redmi Note 10s, with a quad camera and long battery life, and the Redmi Note 10 Pro, which stands out for its 108 megapixel camera. According to Etercor, the reception from the Argentinian public was such that it “shattered the stock” in the first weeks.
Right now it’s imported equipment that can be purchased exclusively from the official Xiaomi store at Mercado Libre, Frávega or Red Megatone.
Of the confirmation that arrived this Sunday, mobile phones should start to be manufactured in the country by Etercorwhich has a factory in Tierra del Fuego (owned by Solnik) and has the necessary industrial equipment to manufacture advanced electronics (it manufactures, for example, HMD Global products, an official licensee of the Nokia brand).
The Argentinian company, which currently employs 400 people, will also take care of the after-sales service for Xiaomi products, as it already does for the Bose, Nokia and Apple brands.
Xiami offers a wide range of items: computers, tablets, televisions, electric skateboards and vacuum cleaners, among others.
- Xiaomi MiPad: tablet
- Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air: laptop
- Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro: laptop
- Xiaomi Redmi Smart TV: X50, X55 and X65
- Xiaomi Mi Band: activity bracelet
- Xiaomi Mi Power Bank – battery charger with built-in external battery.
- MiWiFi: Routers called MiWiFi.
- Xiaomi Redmi AirDots and Xiaomi Piston e Hybrid: in-ear headphones, marketed in two ranges.
- Xiaomi Roborock and Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum: robot vacuum cleaner
- MIUI: Xiaomi mobile phones and tablets have the MIUI operating system, based on Android and developed by the same company. The smartphone software is based on MIUI, a closed-source Android firmware based on the Android operating system.
- Electric skateboards: in collaboration with its subsidiary Mijia, Xiaomi manufactures electric scooters: Xiaomi Mijia M365, with a range of 30 kilometers and a speed of 25 kilometers per hour, and Mi Electric Scooter Pro, which has a range of 45 kilometers and a speed of 25 kilometers per hour.
- Electric cars: On March 30, 2021, Xiaomi announced that it would invest $10,000 to compete with Tesla in the electric car business. For this, it has formed an alliance with the builder Great Wall. The first car would arrive by 2023.
- Drone with 4K camera.
- Textiles: towels, smart shoes, t-shirts, backpacks
- Xiaomi Populele Ukulele: This ukulele can connect to mobile with app.
Alberto Fernández’s visit to China
President Alberto Fernández’s visit to the People’s Republic of China is part of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
In this context, the Argentine President approved the incorporation of the country into the strip and the silk roada Chinese initiative to boost trade and investment flows that already has more than 140 member countries around the world.
With this strategic decision, the national government will sign different agreements guaranteeing the financing of investments and works for more than 23,700 million dollarsgenerating a new stage in the bilateral relationship which has considerably broadened and strengthened over the past 15 years.