‘Tragedy Beyond Words’: First National Opioid Settlement Payments Coming Soon to NC | News

North Carolina will begin receiving payments in a few months from the $750 million it will receive as part of a nationwide settlement finalized with four big pharmaceutical companies over their role in the opioid crisis, the Attorney General Josh Stein.

Three distributors, Cardinal, McKesson and AmerisourceBergen, along with manufacturer Johnson & Johnson will pay a total of $26 billion after 52 states and territories signed the three-year settlement, Stein said in a press release.

“These companies made billions of dollars while millions of Americans became addicted to opioids,” Stein said. “In North Carolina, we have already lost at least 20,000 people to this crisis, and countless more families have been devastated by loss and addiction. That’s why I led a bipartisan coalition of attorneys general across the country to hold them accountable.

States negotiating the $26 billion settlement first announced that a deal had been reached last July. Since then, all 100 North Carolina counties and 47 municipalities have signed on, meaning the state will receive its full share of $750 million.

More than $637 million, or about 85% of the total, will go to local communities in North Carolina “to support treatment, recovery, harm reduction, and other strategies to address the opioid epidemic.” , the statement said. The remaining 15% will go to the state to be used for the same purpose.

About Margie Peters

Check Also

My day: Grainne Hughes, Almac Pharma Services

At 8am, I’m in my car and already halfway from the office to Almac’s headquarters …